Dermaplaning in NJ
Women and men are always looking for new and exciting ways to restore a glowing, healthy complexion. While there are many approaches to this, exfoliation is near the top of that list. Facial exfoliation can come from many treatments, from microdermabrasion to chemical peels to at-home masks. One additional way to exfoliate the skin is with a treatment known as dermaplaning.
Dermaplaning is a non-invasive method that scrapes off the top layers of damaged, dry skin without applying harsh chemicals. This treatment shines on its own as it allows for refreshed and more even complexions, or benefits other facial treatments and skin care routines as it allows products to penetrate further into the skin.
True Beauty Med Spa offers dermaplaning for women and men in Short Hills, New Jersey.Have a Question
What is Dermaplaning?
No matter how well we take care of our skin, there is no way to avoid dead, dry skin cells that collect and clog our pores. This dead skin is called epithelium, and its presence only increases as we age.
Dermaplaning removes these dead skin cells by gently scraping the cells from the face. This is performed by a licensed aesthetician for your safety, and it results in a brighter, smoother, softer, and more even complexion.
Am I a candidate for Dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is beneficial for women and men of all ages and skin types. This treatment is also ideal for pregnant or nursing women as it exfoliates the skin without potentially harmful chemicals.
Since dermaplaning removes the top layers of skin, it is not appropriate for those with active acne.
What are the benefits of Dermaplaning?
Most women and men consider dermaplaning to:
- Exfoliate dead skin cells
- Correct uneven tone and texture that is caused by epithelium buildup
- Remove pesky peach fuzz (fine hairs seen on the face)
To see if you are a candidate for dermaplaning, contact the True Beauty Med Spa by calling (973) 524-7124.
How should I prepare for my Dermaplaning treatment?
Dermaplaning is a non-invasive treatment that requires little in the way of preparation; however, to ensure the best results, you may be asked to:
- Avoid any other forms of facial hair removal (including waxing) for at least one week
- Avoid peels and other exfoliation treatments for at least one week
- Avoid facial injectables for at least one week
How is Dermaplaning performed?
Dermaplaning is an outpatient treatment performed by a licensed aesthetician in our Short Hill, New Jersey, office.
During a dermaplaning treatment:
- Your face will be cleansed.
- Your aesthetician will use a sterile surgical blade (scalpel) to scrape dead skin cells, debris, and unwanted facial hair (peach fuzz) from the skin. Treatment zones include the forehead, cheeks, and chin.
- Different serums are usually applied to the face to penetrate and refresh the skin.
Should I combine other procedures with Dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning can be performed alone to refresh and revitalize the skin, or it can be combined with additional treatment to better results.
Common combination procedures include:
- Facials, which hydrate, refresh, and calm damaged or irritated skin
- HydraFacial® MD, which cleanses, exfoliates, hydrates, and nourishes the skin
Dermaplaning can also be performed after the recovery period of surgical procedures to enhance skin tone. Some of these surgeries include:
- Facelift surgery, which tightens the skin and tissues in the cheeks, chin, jawline, and neck
- Neck lift surgery, which tightens the skin and tissues in the neck
- Brow lift surgery, which tightens the skin tissues in the forehead and raises sagging brows
What can I expect during my Dermaplaning recovery?
There is no recovery after a dermaplaning treatment. There may be some minor redness, blotchiness, or peeling, and you should be careful not to rub or scratch your face for the first one to two days, as this may irritate the skin.
Patients can return to work and their daily activities immediately. Your skin may be more sensitive to the sun, so you must protect your complexion by applying SPF 30 or higher.
Proper sun protection should be practiced at all times, regardless of having undergone a cosmetic procedure.
Are there any side effects associated with Dermaplaning?
There are no side effects associated with dermaplaning. Temporary redness or peeling may occur, but this usually subsides within one to two days.
When will I see my Dermaplaning results?
You will be able to see your dermaplaning results immediately following treatment, which will only improve over the following days as the redness and minor peeling subside.
Dermaplaning offers significant but temporary results. You will need to schedule monthly or bi-monthly maintenance treatments to extend your brighter and smoother complexion.
Be sure to ask your aesthetician about any skin care products that are recommended or products to avoid to maintain and protect your dermaplaning results.
Would You Like to Learn More?
If you would like to set up a consultation with the True Beauty Med Spa to see if you are a candidate or to learn the cost of your dermaplaning treatment, contact our offices by calling (973) 524-7124.
Dr. Friedlander sees patients from Short Hills, Livingston, Morristown, and other New Jersey areas.