Body Lift in New Jersey
Many people who have achieved the massive accomplishment of significant weight loss are frustrated and disheartened by the resulting skin laxity on the lower abdomen, uneven contours along the thighs and buttocks, and remaining pockets of stubborn fat.
Unfortunately, while fat can be lost and muscle can be built, excess skin is impossible to get rid of without a surgical procedure like a body lift.Have a Question
What is Body Lift surgery?
The body lift, which is also referred to as a belt lipectomy, is a dramatic body contouring procedure that allows you to realize the full extent of your weight loss or restore your contours after pregnancy or the aging process. This comprehensive technique removes excess skin and fat from the abdomen, back, hips, buttocks, and outer thighs and allows you to enjoy greater comfort in your clothing choices and your self-esteem.
Am I a good candidate for a Body Lift?
Massive weight loss often results in loose, hanging skin that you can easily grab with your hand. This excess skin is aesthetically displeasing and uncomfortable since it can result in skin irritations like rashes and inhibit your ability to exercise with ease. Women and men often consider body lift surgery after significant weight loss, whether they’ve lost the pounds through diet and exercise or with gastric bypass surgery.
If you are unhappy with the presence of this excess skin, then a body lift may be right for you.
Ideal body lift candidates:
- Do not smoke
- Are in good overall health
- Are at a stable weight
- Do not have any conditions that impair healing
- Have some skin elasticity
- Have realistic expectations
- What are the benefits of Body Lift surgery?
- Women and men consider a body lift surgery to:
- Remove loose skin after gastric bypass or diet and exercise
- Reduce loose skin and muscle weakness that may occur after pregnancy
- Lessen irregular bulges or contours
- Reduce loose skin around the abdomen, buttocks, and thighs
- Reduce cellulite below the waistline
To see if you are a candidate for a body lift, contact Dr. Beverly Friedlander by calling (973) 524-7124.
What will my Body Lift entail?
Body lift surgery is highly customizable, and Dr. Friedlander will tailor all surgical techniques to meet your needs and aesthetic desires.
What can I expect during my Body Lift consultation with Dr. Bev?
Your consultation with Dr. Friedlander is essential to your body lift.
During this meeting, Dr. Friedlander will:
- Discuss your goals and expectations
- Examine your skin and tissue laxity
- Recommend the technique(s) that will provide optimal results
- Design your surgical plan
- Inform you about how to prepare for your body lift
How is a Body Lift performed?
Body lift surgery is performed under general anesthesia for your safety and comfort. This procedure addresses the abdomen, back, buttocks, hips, and thighs. The process is tailored to fit your individual needs and takes several hours to perform.
Where are my Body Lift incisions located?
The incision for body lift surgery extends around the torso just beneath the panty line for easy scar concealment. Before your surgery, the loose skin on the abdomen and backside is identified and marked.
This incision may be more or less extensive depending on the amount of correction needed.
- Dr. Friedlander performs posterior surgery to lift and re-suspend the buttocks and thighs.
- She then positions you on your back to perform the tummy tuck, where she removes the excess skin and tightens the abdominal muscles.
- Liposuction is performed to slim the waist and remove excess pockets of fat that accumulate around the midsection.
Body lift patients require the placement of drains to prevent fluid accumulation. Most drains are removed in one week.
Should I combine other surgical procedures with my Body Lift?
Body lift surgery is a comprehensive technique that addresses the entire circumference of the midsection. While many patients choose to undergo a body lift as a standalone procedure, it can be combined with or followed by additional body contouring surgeries.
Common combination procedures include:
- Liposuction surgery, to remove excess pockets of fat from the midsection, hips, thighs, buttocks, and arms
- Arm lift surgery, to reduce the circumference and tighten the skin in the arms
- Breast lift surgery, to elevate sagging breasts by tightening skin and glandular tissues
- Brazilian Butt Lift surgery, to augment the butt by injecting the fat taken during liposuction
What can I expect during my Body Lift recovery?
Body lift surgery is an extensive cosmetic procedure that addresses many areas at once. It is a major surgery that requires a commitment to allow your body to heal. Typically, you will stay overnight in the hospital so Dr. Friedlander can observe the beginning stages of your recovery.
You can expect to have bruising, swelling, tenderness, and discomfort. Post-operative pain is significantly lessened with the use of EXPAREL® (a long-acting local anesthetic) that Dr. Bev administers during your surgery and a PCA pump, which allows you to deliver controlled amounts of pain medication directly into your body. Drains are needed for a few days to prevent fluid accumulation and compression garments are worn to promote circulation and reduce swelling.
You are encouraged to start walking the day after your surgery, but you will likely feel fatigued for a few weeks. You can return to work and household activity after two to four weeks and strenuous activity after six to eight weeks.
Are there any risks associated with Body Lift surgery?
All surgical procedures come with some degree of risk, and body lift surgery is no different. As your safety is Dr. Friendlander’s highest priority, she will carefully review your medical history and medications to determine any potential factors that could increase your risk. These factors include high blood pressure, blood clotting problems, and a history of smoking.
While complications are rare, they can include:
- Prolonged swelling
- Hematoma or seroma (blood or fluid collection under the skin)
- Deep vein thrombosis (blood clots)
- Changes in sensation
- Poor wound healing
- The need for additional surgery
You can reduce your chances of experiencing these complications by following all of Dr. Friedlander’s recommendations before and after your surgery. If you smoke, you will be asked to quit for at least four weeks before your surgery.
When will I see my Body Lift results?
The results of your body lift will start to become apparent immediately following your surgery, and they will continue to improve over the following weeks and months as the bruising and swelling subside. The results of your body lift will be long-lasting, barring significant weight gain or pregnancy.
Most patients who undergo a body lift discover that they are more confident and comfortable with their physique and are more willing to show off their curves.
Schedule a Body Lift consultation
If you would like to set up a consultation with Dr. Friedlander to see if you are a candidate, contact our office by calling (973) 524-7124.
Dr. Friedlander sees patients from Short Hills, Livingston, and the Morristown, New Jersey, areas.