Breast augmentation is one of the most common procedures performed in the U.S. and one of the most popular services performed by Dr. Friedlander. This procedure will not only improve the size and shape of your breasts through the placement of implants, but it will also give you an appearance that conveys an inner sense of beauty and self-esteem.Have a Question
Am I a candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Most women interested in breast augmentation have considered undergoing this procedure for many years. Breast augmentation surgery is often performed on women who would like to:
- Enhance the size of naturally small breasts
- Correct asymmetrical or tuberous breasts
- Restore volume after weight loss, pregnancy, or nursing
Breast augmentation can provide natural-looking enhancement and bring the body into balance. In some instances, Dr. Friedlander may suggest combining breast lift surgery with augmentation for women unhappy with their sagging breasts who also wish for breast enlargement.
Dorin talks about her Breast Augmentation with Dr Bev
What are the options for Breast Augmentation?
The right implant size and procedural options for your individual needs are based on chest measurements, anatomy, and your desired result. Dr. Friedlander knows that your goals are unique and will take the time to fully understand your ideal breast shape and size in order to customize the surgery to you. You will also be given the opportunity to review photos of previous patients with a similar height, weight, body frame, and breast shape to understand how the choice of differently sized implants can affect the result.
Breast Implant Type
Both Natrelle INSPIRA™ “gummy bear” implants and the IDEAL IMPLANT® can provide excellent breast augmentation results, but your choice is best determined after a consultation with Dr. Friedlander.
- Natrelle INSPIRA™ “gummy bear” Implants are round, highly cohesive, silicone gel implants that can provide you with more fullness and volume in the breasts.
- The IDEAL IMPLANT® combines the benefits of both saline and silicone breast implants to create a natural and aesthetically pleasing breast shape.
- Fat Transfer is an alternative to implants that uses liposuction to remove excess fat from other areas of your body. The fat will be injected into the breasts for a more natural appearance.
Breast Implant Profile
Round implants have varying profiles, which determine how far forward the implants will project from your chest or ultimately how large and natural they look. Profiles can range from low to moderate to high.
- Low Profile Implants are appropriate for women more concerned about shape than size. They have a smaller forward projection and create a subtle enhancement.
- Moderate Profile Implants are most commonly used by plastic surgeons. They create the look of a rounder, fuller breast while achieving a natural appearance.
- High Profile Implants have the greatest amount of projection. They are ideal for the woman who wants a noticeable augmentation or who has a small frame and is looking for more fullness.
Breast Implant Size
Your implant size will have a significant impact on your final results. During your consultation, Dr. Friedlander will show you photographs of patients with different body builds and breast sizes to give you a better idea of how your natural shape will affect the results. This will give you an idea of how your new breasts will look and feel. Dr. Friedlander would like you to keep a few things in mind choosing the size of your breast implants:
- Cup Size: All bras are different and cup sizes vary widely. In the end, it doesn’t matter what cup size you wear, it matters that you like how you look. Don’t be afraid to explore your options and keep an open mind in doing so. Dr. Friedlander will guide you, and help you decide if an implant size is right for you.
- Breast Tissue: The amount of natural breast tissue you have will play a part in determining the appropriate size of your implants. You want to make sure your implants naturally complement your figure.
- Proportion: Most women not only want their breasts to look natural but also proportional. Proportion is determined by a woman’s height, weight, and body dimensions, not necessarily cup size. Be sure you communicate your exact aesthetic goals to Dr. Friedlander.
Breast Implant Incisions
Dr. Friedlander performs most of her augmentations using an inframammary incision. This approach is used by most surgeons since it offers the greatest amount of precision. Breast augmentation can be performed using one of the following incision options:
- Inframammary incisions run along the crease beneath the breasts.
- Transaxillary incisions are placed within the underarm.
- Periareolar incisions follow the edge of the lower areola.
- Transumbilical incisions are placed within the navel.
Breast Implant Placement
Dr. Friedlander prefers to place breast implants under the pectoral muscle (submuscular placement) for several reasons. This is the preferred method of placement for future mammograms since it reduces any interference the implants may have with effective scans. This placement also reduces the development of scar tissue around the implant (called capsular contracture), and it creates a natural breast aesthetic, ensuring a gentle slope to the upper portion of the breast while concealing the edges of the implant. Subglandular placement positions the implants under the breast tissue but above the chest muscle and offers an appealing cleavage line and roundness to the breasts for women with adequate existing breast tissue.
How is a Breast Augmentation performed?
After anesthesia is administered, Dr. Friedlander will place the implants according to the predetermined surgical plan. Implant placement should be centered behind the nipple, but the precise position can vary depending on the patient’s chest anatomy and will be affected by the size and shape of the breast, the location of the nipples, the position of the natural fold, and the curvature of the spine or ribs. Once the implants are in the correct position, the incisions will be closed with sutures and bandaged. You will be closely monitored in the recovery area after surgery.
What is recovery like after a Breast Augmentation?
Most women report that recovery is more comfortable than expected. A prescription for analgesics is provided, although it is rarely used for more than a day or two. You can work from home one to two days after the surgery and resume a regular work schedule or social activities five to seven days after the procedure. Postoperative swelling is normal. Most of it disappears one to two months after surgery, although it does take a little more time for the implants to settle. No strenuous activity or heavy lifting is allowed for four weeks. It takes time for the body to heal, and you will want to look your best the next time you put on your bikini, so plan on postponing that beach vacation until you are fully recovered.
Schedule a Breast Augmentation consultation
If you are interested in breast augmentation or would like more information, please contact our New Jersey practice at 973-524-7124.